Fall Cleanup Tips
- Recommended tools and equipment for the work includes tarps, blowers, rakes, shovels, pruners and fuel for the blowers and other power tools you might use. Have a plan for debris disposal.
- Clean leaves and debris from all lawn areas and beds.
- Use backpack blower and gentle raking to clean leaves and debris out of ground cover areas (pachysandra, myrtle, etc) so as not to damage the ground cover.
- Use the mowers to shred leaves as much as possible in lawn areas. This will greatly reduce the volume of material that needs to be removed from the property.
- Working in pairs with blowers and rakes can often accomplish cleanups efficiently.
- This is a good time to cut back perennials and remove annuals. Some of the flowering shrubs such as potentilla and bumalda type spireas can be cut back at this time as well.
- Give the lawn areas a final mowing. Ideally the turf should be cut a bit shorter at the end of the season to lessen the incidence of snow mold.
- If many neighbors have leaves out at the curb, it is possible to do likewise. Call the town or municipality for pickup.
- Be sure at the end of the job to blow off walkways, driveways, patios and especially areas around entrances to the house.